Pele believes his status as Brazil's greatest player is secure, with not even Neymar able to challenge him.
A three-time World Cup winner and the scorer of more than 1,000 goals in
a glittering career, the former Santos and New York Cosmos striker has
already seen off plenty of challengers to his mantle since retiring,
including Ronaldo and Romario, who earlier this month backed Neymar to
surpass Pele's tally of 77 international goals.
Whether or not the 23-year-old Barcelona forward is able to do so
remains to be seen, but Pele is not worried about the challenge of his
fellow Santos graduate.
Asked on Wednesday in Melbourne if Neymar can replace him as Brazilian football's favourite son, he said: "I think not."
"I think to be the new king, the new Pele, is impossible. Because my
mother and my father closed the machine. I think he's a good player, an
excellent young player and he's going to be a big star, no doubt."
While Neymar is Brazil's great hope, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo -
playing at a higher tempo than ever before - have proven worthy
challengers to the all-time greats in recent years.
But Pele insisted he would still have been a force of nature in the modern game.
"If you ask, would Beethoven be important now? Of course," he said.
"If I was in this moment and prepared to play in this moment. The thing
people forget is I was given a gift to play football, this is something
no-one can judge."
Appearing in Australia for a series of speaking engagements, Pele - in
his capacity as the unofficial ambassador of Brazilian football - could
not avoid inevitable questions about his country's shock 7-1 loss to
Germany in the World Cup semi-final on home soil last year.
Watching on while the hopes of a nation were shattered, what was he
thinking as goal after goal flew in during that nightmare game in Belo
Horizonte?
"I didn't think - I cried," he said.
"It's unfortunate that the two World Cups played in Brazil, in 1950
when I was nine years old, we lost. And now we lost again. This is
something no-one can explain."
The Brazilian Football Confederation's response to the debacle was to
hand Dunga - who coached the South American nation at the 2010 World Cup
in South Africa - a return to the national team hot seat following Luiz
Felipe Scolari's departure.
Captain of the team that won the tournament for a fourth time in the
United States in 1994, the 51-year-old was not a universally popular
choice, but he at least has the support of an illustrious predecessor.
"I think with Dunga ... (he) has a different style to Felipe (Scolari), more defensive but I believe in Dunga," Pele said.
"He could make a good national team."
Quizzed on whether or not Brazil can win a sixth World Cup in Russia in 2018, Pele said: "I hope so."
-SCOREWAYS.COM
No comments:
Post a Comment